- Archival Copies will be stamped with a warning designating them as Museum property and for research use only.
- Supplying a photocopy is not an authorization to publish.
- Permission to publish or reproduce in any form must be applied for separately. Please use the Museum Archives' Permission to Publish form (available online or through the Archivist).
- The Museum owns the copyright to archival materials produced by the staff of the institution.
- In the case of third party correspondence and manuscript collections, the Museum often has property right, not copyright, to letters, photographs, sound recordings, and other materials.
- Authorization to publish or quote from manuscripts must be sought from both the Museum and the owner of the copyright (or the heirs, estate, or literary executor).
- It is the responsibility of researchers to obtain permission from all copyright holders before publication.