Return to Previous Page

May 13th, 2002
Pew Charitable Trusts, Philadelphia Museum Of Art And Calder Foundation Inaugurate Displays Of Sculpture On Ben Franklin Parkway

PHILADELPHIA, PA (May 13, 2002)—Thanks to a $5-million grant to the Philadelphia Museum of Art from The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway today became the site for a spectacular and buoyant display of artistic treasures that will augment the enjoyment of any stroll along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway for years to come.

In a press briefing at the Rodin Museum, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Pew Charitable Trusts, and the Calder Foundation presented to the public four outdoor sculptures by the Philadelphia-born sculptor Alexander Calder (1898-1976), one of the great artists of the 20th century. The much-anticipated installation—three elegant black sculptures now grace the garden of the Rodin Museum while a tall, multi-colored stabile/mobile commands the two-acre site of the future Calder museum, at 22nd Street and the Parkway —is the first in a succession of rotations in the 12-year program funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts. It brings Calder’s celebrated works to Philadelphia, placing these works in dramatic context with the achievements of his father, Alexander Stirling Calder (1870–1945) who designed the Swann Memorial Fountain (1924) at Logan Circle and his grandfather, Alexander Milne Calder (1846-1923) who designed the figure of William Penn that stands atop City Hall’s clock tower (1886-1894).

On view in the Rodin Museum courtyard are The Pagoda (1963) and Snow Plow (1963), two painted metal stabile sculptures lent from the Calder Foundation, and Three Discs, One Lacking (1968), owned by the City of Philadelphia and formerly on view at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Across the Parkway stands the delicate sculpture Ordinary ( 1969), also on loan from the Calder Foundation, which is a full 21 ½ feet tall. The works are from the period when the artist was most engaged in the creation of outdoor sculptures on a monumental scale. With the installation of Calder’s works along the Parkway, Philadelphians and visitors alike can fully appreciate the boldness and brilliance of Calder’s art as they approach the area where the new museum will rise.

Anne d’Harnoncourt, Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, said: "We are deeply indebted to the Pew Charitable Trusts. Not only does this initiative underscore the importance of three generations of Alexander Calders to Philadelphia, it further enhances Philadelphia’s most splendid boulevard. It will be spectacular to see the full achievement of the youngest Alexander Calder exhibited in the city of his birth and in the context of the sculpture of his father and grandfather. We are thrilled to work with the Calder Foundation on this project and are enormously grateful for the enthusiastic support of the City of Philadelphia and the Fairmount Park Commission."

"Philadelphia is a city whose tradition of outdoor sculpture spans several centuries and the Calder family of sculptors for generations played a vital role in defining the heritage that we cherish today," said Rebecca Rimel, President and CEO of The Pew Charitable Trusts. "Their works are among Philadelphia’s defining icons and great artistic treasures. Our partnership with the Philadelphia Museum of Art, working in collaboration with the Calder Foundation, provides the dramatic forum the Calders deserve and transforms the Parkway into a unique kind of ‘museum’ in itself. Bringing Calder’s Three Discs, One Lacking to the Parkway is particularly exciting."

Calder Foundation Director Alexander S. C. Rower, Alexander Calder's grandson, said: "We are absolutely delighted to stand here in this courtyard today in what amounts to a special homecoming for my grandfather. Our foundation is committed to the Calder project in Philadelphia. It is the only city in which my grandfather’s work can be placed so eloquently in dialogue with that of our other forebears and where it can be seen also in perfect context with a museum devoted to another great sculptor, Auguste Rodin."

Alexander Calder was the third generation of the accomplished artistic family from Philadelphia. Alexander Milne Calder, who immigrated to Philadelphia from Scotland, created some 200 sculptural decorations adorning City Hall in addition to the much-loved bronze statue of William Penn. Alexander Stirling Calder, who was born in Philadelphia was especially noted for the Swann Memorial Fountain but also created many other sculptures throughout the city and on the Parkway. At the western end of the Parkway, Alexander Calder’s ethereal mobile Ghost (1964) is suspended in the great stair hall of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Members of Calder’s family formed the Calder Foundation in 1987 to promote and disseminate Alexander Calder’s work. In anticipation of establishing a Calder museum, the Calder Foundation facilitated a temporary loan in 1999 to the City of Philadelphia of a large-scale privately owned stabile entitled Eagle (1971). During the 18-month period in which the sculpture was on view on the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s East Terrace, the art museum explored the feasibility of helping to create and facilitate the operations of a Calder museum situated on the Parkway. On February 14, 2001, Calder Foundation Director Alexander S. C. Rower, Philadelphia Mayor John F. Street, representatives from the Philadelphia Museum of Art along with other enthusiastic supporters, announced the selection of this city for the Calder museum and the Japan-based firm of Tadao Ando as architect.

In June 2001, The Pew Charitable Trusts announced its $5 million grant to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to oversee the 12-year project of installing the works of Alexander Calder along the Parkway.

Alexander Calder was born in Lawnton, Pennsylvania, in 1898. He graduated in 1919 from the Stevens Institute of Technology with a degree in mechanical engineering. In 1923, after a series of assorted jobs, he entered the Art Students League in New York and embarked on a career that would revolutionize the course of modern sculpture and earn him international renown. From 1926 to 1929, his miniature wire circus sculpture and performance piece, Cirque, brought him to the attention of the art world’s leading figures, including Miró, Leger, Mondrian, and Picasso. He worked in a wide range of media and is best known for inventing freely moving constructions suspended in air (for which Marcel Duchamp coined the term "mobiles") and for his large freestanding sculptures, "stabiles." In the final decades before his death in 1976, he devoted himself increasingly to monumental outdoor sculpture. His work figures prominently in the modern collections of major museums throughout the world, and a retrospective exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., in 1998, also shown at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, attracted 603,700 visitors during its run in the two cities.

The Pew Charitable Trusts (www.pewtrusts.com) support nonprofit activities in the areas of culture, education, the environment, health and human services, public policy and religion. Based in Philadelphia, the Trusts make strategic investments to help organizations and citizens develop practical solutions to difficult problems. In 2001, with approximately $4.3 billion in assets, the Trusts committed more than $230 million to 175 nonprofit organizations.

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is Philadelphia's art museum. We are a landmark building. A world-renowned collection. A place that welcomes everyone. We bring the arts to life, inspiring visitors—through scholarly study and creative play—to discover the spirit of imagination that lies in everyone. We connect people with the arts in rich and varied ways, making the experience of the Museum surprising, lively, and always memorable. We are committed to inviting visitors to see the world—and themselves—anew through the beauty and expressive power of the arts.

For additional information, contact the Communications Department of the Philadelphia Museum of Art phone at 215-684-7860, by fax at 215-235-0050, or by e-mail at pressroom@philamuseum.org. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is located on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway at 26th Street. For general information, call (215) 763-8100.

Return to Previous Page