Return to Previous Page



Portrait of Dr. Samuel D. Gross (The Gross Clinic)
Portrait of Dr. Samuel D. Gross (The Gross Clinic), 1875
Thomas Eakins, American
Oil on canvas
8 feet x 6 feet 6 inches (243.8 x 198.1 cm)
Gift of the Alumni Association to Jefferson Medical College in 1878 and purchased by the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 2007 with the generous support of more than 3,600 donors, 2007
2007-1-1
[ More Details ]
building
Philadelphia Treasures Eakins’s Gross Clinic and Saint-Gaudens’s Angel of Purity
August 2, 2008 - July 19, 2009
The Museum welcomes two masterpieces made for Philadelphia by two of nineteenth-century America’s finest artists, Thomas Eakins and Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Close contemporaries and friends, they both trained in Paris and traveled in Europe before returning to the United States about 1870 to begin distinguished careers. Sharing a belief in the expressive power of the human body as a subject for modern painting and sculpture, they developed different styles.

Eakins, committed to the depiction of contemporary life, celebrated the heroes of his own day—as in The Gross Clinic—in a grand and unsparing realism evoking the Dutch and Spanish masters of the seventeenth century. Saint-Gaudens, trained in the same tradition of naturalism and life study, fused the real with the ideal—as in The Angel of Purity—following the poetic spirit of neoclassicism. At the peak of their accomplishment in these two works, both masters demonstrate the power of great public art to stir profound and complex emotions grounded in themes of human life and death.

Installed in public spaces in Philadelphia for more than a century, these two extraordinary works of art will continue to inspire audiences here, thanks to the support of many donors rallied by the Museum’s dedicated director, Anne d’Harnoncourt (1943–2008), who worked tirelessly to secure both treasures for the city.

Curator

Kathleen Foster • The Robert L. McNeil, Jr., Senior Curator of American Art and Director, Center for American Art

Location

Gallery 119, first floor

The Angel of Purity (Maria Mitchell Memorial)
The Angel of Purity (Maria Mitchell Memorial), 1902
Augustus Saint-Gaudens, American (born Ireland)
Marble
8 × 4 × 1 feet (243.8 × 121.9 × 30.5 cm)
Purchased with the Annenberg Fund for Major Acquisitions and with the gifts of Mr. and Mrs. Wharton Sinkler and Mrs. T. Charlton Henry (by exchange), and with funds contributed by the Margaret Dorrance Strawbridge Foundation of Pennsylvania II, Inc., 2005
2005-2-1
[ More Details ]

 

Return to Previous Page