Attributed to Jan van Eyck, Netherlandish (active Bruges)
Oil on vellum on panel
5 x 5 3/4 inches (12.7 x 14.6 cm)
John G. Johnson Collection, 1917
[ More Details ]
Recognizing Van Eyck will present a small but extraordinary exhibition that brings together a group of works by one of the best known and most influential artists in the history of art, the great master of Netherlandish painting, Jan van Eyck (c.1385-1441). The exhibition features seven rare works lent by distinguished European and U.S. museums, as well as two nearly identical images of St. Francis Receiving the Stigmata (c. 1428-1430). Van Eyck's paintings have been renowned through the centuries for their astonishing realism and a mastery of oil painting so consummate that the painter was long credited with having invented the technique. Works by Van Eyck are rare and very seldom lent between museums; this exhibition will represent a once-in-a-lifetime gathering of masterpieces, including works by Van Eyck, his assistants and closest followers.
OrganizersThis exhibition was organized by the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Galleria Sabauda, Turin, in collaboration with the National Gallery, London.
CuratorsJoseph Rishel Senior Curator of European Painting before 1900, the John G. Johnson Collection, and the Rodin Museum
Katherine C. Luber Assistant Curator, John G. Johnson Collection
Carl Brandon Strehlke Adjunct Curator, John G. Johnson Collection
SponsorsRecognizing Van Eyck is supported by The Pew Charitable Trusts and the Robert Montgomery Scott Endowment for Exhibitions, and by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities. Additional support was provided by the Connelly Foundation, John McShain Charities, Inc., Northwest Airlines, and anonymous contributors. The installation was made possible by J.E. Berkowitz, L.P., and Eureka Metal & Glass Services, Inc.
LocationNineteenth-Century Galleries (151, 152, 159), first floor
ItineraryGalleria Sabauda, Turin October 2 - December 14, 1997
The National Gallery, London January 14 - March 15, 1998
Philadelphia Museum of Art April 1 - June 14, 1998