Prints, Drawings, and Photographs
The Great Hall of Prague CastleMade in Southern Netherlands (modern Belgium), Europe
Aegidius Sadeler II, Flemish, c. 1570 - 1629
Engraving and etching, printed from two plates on two sheets
Currently not on view
|The Muriel and Philip Berman Gift, acquired from the John S. Phillips bequest of 1876 to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, with funds contributed by Muriel and Philip Berman, gifts (by exchange) of Lisa Norris Elkins, Bryant W. Langston, Samuel S. White 3rd and Vera White, with additional funds contributed by John Howard McFadden, Jr., Thomas Skelton Harrison, and the Philip H. and A.S.W. Rosenbach Foundation, 1985|
LabelAegidius Sadeler II built his career in the courts of Germany before becoming court engraver to Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II in Prague. This interior scene depicts the ceremonial heart of the royal castle, constructed between 1493 and 1506. Originally intended for staging jousts on horseback, the vast hall eventually became a site for large gatherings adjacent to the imperial council chamber and chapel. Rudolf II appears in the left background, along with a group of Persian ambassadors. Also featured are a series of booths at which paintings, decorative objects, and, in the lower left corner, prints are on display for sale.