Pierre-Auguste Renoir, French, 1841 - 1919
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
38 1/4 x 28 3/4 inches (97.2 x 73 cm)
Framed: 45 3/4 × 37 1/2 × 4 1/4 inches (116.2 × 95.3 × 10.8 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Gallery 162, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Vogt Gallery)Accession Number:
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Rodolphe Meyer de Schauensee, 1978
With Durand-Ruel, Paris; Emil Staub (1867-1929), Männedorf, Switzerland, by 1916 or 1917 ; his wife Alma Staub-Terlinden (1883-1970) from 1929 until 1950 ; with Wildenstein & Co., New York, 1950-51; sold to Rodolphe Meyer de Schauensee, Devon, PA, February 16, 1951 ; gift to PMA, 1978.
1. The sales catalogue for Christie's, London, 5 February 2009 has an article on the Staub-Terlinden collection which describes two main purchases in 1916 and 1917. The catalogue describes the Large Bather as among the erly purchases. The exhibition of Large Bather in Zurich in 1917 would suggest it was already in their collection since they were generous lenders to exhibitions. See also Jean René, "L'art français dans une collection suisse, la collection de M. Staub-Terlinden," La Renaissance, August 1923, pp. 472-73.
2. Mrs. Staub-Terlinden moved to New York in March 1939. Wildenstein & Co. are listed as lender to the 1949 Century Association exhibition, "Trends in European Painting"; however, Mrs. E. Staub-Terlinden (1883-1970) is listed as lender to the Wildenstein, New York exhibition "Renoir", March 23-April 29, 1950.
3. Dated receipt in curatorial file.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.