The Ancestral Property of Gabrielle d'Estrées (Le Lapin Agile)
Maurice Utrillo, French, 1883 - 1955
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on panelDimensions:
23 5/16 x 31 3/16 inches (59.2 x 79.2 cm)Copyright:
© Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, ParisCuratorial Department:
Modern and Contemporary ArtObject Location:
* Gallery 172, Modern and Contemporary Art, first floorAccession Number:
Bequest of Charlotte Dorrance Wright, 1978
M. Bertin, Paris, said to have been bought directly from the artist in 1913 . With Paul Pétridès, Paris (from Bertin?), by 1956 ; sold to Wildenstein & Co, New York, May 1956; sold to Continental Gallery, Forth Worth, December 1956 ; Arnold Kirkeby, New York; his sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, November 19, 1958, no. 3; purchased by Earl T. Risser, New York; his sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, December 11, 1963, no. 81; purchased by Charlotte Dorrance Wright (1911-1977) and William Coxe Wright (d. 1970), St. Davids, PA, until his d. 1970 ; Charlotte Dorrance Wright; bequest to PMA, 1978.
1. Per a note in the files of Wildenstein & Co., New York, and also according to the catalog entry for the 1965 exhibition of the Wright Collection at the California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco. Possibly Pierre Bertin of Paris, owner of a Modigliani in 1938 (see the exhibition catalog "The Tragic Painters", London, Alex Reid & Lefèvre, June 1938, no. 12). Another Utrillo in the Kirkeby sale, "Une Rue de Village" (lot 20), includes "Collection Bertin" in its provenance (from the Galerie Pétridès, Paris).
2. Pétridès became Utrillo's dealer in 1936. He opened his Paris gallery, Galerie Paul Pétridès, in 1934.
3. Provenance information provided by Mrs. Ay-Whang Hsia of Wildenstein & Co., letter of 5 August 2002 in curatorial file. Wildenstein & Co. are listed as the owner in the 1959 Pétridès catalog of Utrillo's works, although they had already sold the painting by 1956.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.