European Painting before 1900, Johnson Collection
Vegetable Garden, Overcast Morning, EragnyMade in France, Europe
Camille Pissarro, French, 1830 - 1903
Oil on canvas
25 1/2 x 32 inches (64.8 x 81.3 cm)
* Gallery 152, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Toll Gallery)
1978-1-26Bequest of Charlotte Dorrance Wright, 1978
By descent to Ludovic-Rodolphe Pissarro, the artist's son, in 1904 . Émile Laffon (1838-1931), Paris, by 1930 ; Mme Émile Laffon, Paris, 1931 through at least 1933 . Gabriel Garcin, Cannes, by 1954; sold to Marlborough Fine Art, London, October 1954; sold to Paul Mellon (1907-1999), Upperville, VA, January 1955 ; his sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, October 14, 1965, no. 134 (illus.); purchased by E. J. Rousuck (dealer); Charlotte Dorrance Wright (1911-1977) and William Coxe Wright (d. 1970), St. Davids, PA, until his d. 1970 ; Charlotte Dorrance Wright; bequest to PMA, 1978.
1. See Joachim Pissarro and Claire Durand-Ruel Snollaerts, Pissarro: Critical Catalogue of Paintings, Milan and Paris, 2005, vol. 3, no. 1373.
2. Lent in 1930 to the Pissarro Centennial exhibition, Paris, no. 115.
3. Cited in "La Collection E. L.," La Renaissance, November 1933, p. 182. Pissarro and Venturi, 1939, no. 1183, list the painting as "collection Émile Laffon" (in the preface, Mme Laffon is thanked). After his death in 1931, parts of Laffon's collection were sold in 1936 (Boudin paintings) and 1938 (prints and drawings).
4. Preceding information per letter from Kate Austin, Marlborough Fine Art, 9 August 2004 (name incorrectly given as Gabriel Carcin).
5. E. J. (Emanuel Jay) Rousuck (sometimes spelled "Roussuck") of Wildenstein & Co., New York, advised the Wrights on their collection and may have purchased the painting on their behalf; see PMA, The Charlotte Dorrance Wright Collection, 1978, p. 7.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.