Vegetable Garden, Overcast Morning, Eragny
Camille Pissarro, French, 1830 - 1903
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
25 1/2 x 32 inches (64.8 x 81.3 cm)Curatorial Department:
European Painting before 1900, Johnson CollectionObject Location:
Currently not on viewAccession Number:
Bequest of Charlotte Dorrance Wright, 1978
By descent to Ludovic-Rodolphe Pissarro, the artist's son, in 1904 . Émile Laffon (1838-1931), Paris, by 1930 ; Mme Émile Laffon, Paris, 1931 through at least 1933 . Gabriel Garcin, Cannes, by 1954; sold to Marlborough Fine Art, London, October 1954; sold to Paul Mellon (1907-1999), Upperville, VA, January 1955 ; his sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, October 14, 1965, no. 134 (illus.); purchased by E. J. Rousuck (dealer); Charlotte Dorrance Wright (1911-1977) and William Coxe Wright (d. 1970), St. Davids, PA, until his d. 1970 ; Charlotte Dorrance Wright; bequest to PMA, 1978.
1. See Joachim Pissarro and Claire Durand-Ruel Snollaerts, Pissarro: Critical Catalogue of Paintings, Milan and Paris, 2005, vol. 3, no. 1373.
2. Lent in 1930 to the Pissarro Centennial exhibition, Paris, no. 115.
3. Cited in "La Collection E. L.," La Renaissance, November 1933, p. 182. Pissarro and Venturi, 1939, no. 1183, list the painting as "collection Émile Laffon" (in the preface, Mme Laffon is thanked). After his death in 1931, parts of Laffon's collection were sold in 1936 (Boudin paintings) and 1938 (prints and drawings).
4. Preceding information per letter from Kate Austin, Marlborough Fine Art, 9 August 2004 (name incorrectly given as Gabriel Carcin).
5. E. J. (Emanuel Jay) Rousuck (sometimes spelled "Roussuck") of Wildenstein & Co., New York, advised the Wrights on their collection and may have purchased the painting on their behalf; see PMA, The Charlotte Dorrance Wright Collection, 1978, p. 7.