Armor

Wrought by Wolfgang Groszschedel, German (active Greenwich, England and Landshut, Bavaria), first documented 1517/18, Landshut from 1521, died 1562. Etched by Master ES, German, active c. 1450 - c. 1467. Modern additions made under the supervision of Abraham Wolfgang Küffner, active Nuremberg, 1760 - 1817. Composed and redecorated for Landgrave Wilhelm of Hessen-Kassel IX, 1743 - 1821, ruled 1785-1806 and 1813-21, prince elector in 1803.

Geography:
Made in Landshut, Germany, Europe
And made in Nuremberg, Germany, Europe

Date:
1529, with modern additions c. 1805

Medium:
Etched, engraved, partially blackened, and formerly blued and gilded steel; brass; leather

Dimensions:
Width (across the mid-points of the shoulders): 23 5/8 inches (60 cm) Height (down the center of the back): 26 inches (66 cm) Waist: 32 7/8 inches (83.5 cm)

Curatorial Department:
European Decorative Arts and Sculpture

Object Location:

* Gallery 247, Arms and Armor, second floor (Kretzschmar von Kienbusch Galleries)

Accession Number:
1977-167-9

Credit Line:
Bequest of Carl Otto Kretzschmar von Kienbusch, 1977

Social Tags [?]

There are currently no user tags associated with this object.


[Add Your Own Tags]

Label:

An armor garniture is a complete suit of armor with a set of exchange elements designed to adapt the basic unit to different uses, such as tournament or battle. Parts of this armor belonged to a garniture made by Wolfgang Grosschedel, who served in the royal workshops of King Henry VIII of England (ruled 1509 to 1547) before settling in about 1521 at Landshut, where he supplied fine armor to numerous German rulers and King Philip II of Spain (ruled 1556 to 1598).

The original garniture served in the early nineteenth century as a model for, and was then incorporated into, a group of eight composite and restored armors. This set was fabricated for Abraham Wolfgang Küffner, who delivered the armor to Prince Elector Wilhelm IX of Hesse-Cassel (ruled 1785 to 1806 and 1813 to 1821), for the armory of his neo-Gothic castle at Löwenburg, Germany.


* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.