European Painting before 1900, Johnson Collection
Ruins of a Roman Bath with WasherwomenMade in France, Europe
Hubert Robert, French, 1733 - 1808
Oil on canvas
54 x 41 1/2 inches (137.2 x 105.4 cm)
* Gallery 290, European Art 1500-1850, second floor
1961-215-1Gift of Dora Donner Ide in memory of John Jay Ide, 1961
Prince Galitzine, St. Petersburg. Duc de Luynes, Paris; his daughter, Duchesse d'Uzès, Paris . Edwin S. Bayer (1870-1928), New York, by 1928 ; Laura, comtesse Sala (formerly Mrs. Edwin S. Bayer), Paris, by 1933-until d. 1961 ; sale, Sala collection, Parke-Bernet, New York, November 18, 1961, no. 198; Mr. & Mrs. John Jay Ide, New York; Dora Donner Ide (Mrs. John Jay Ide); gift to PMA, 1961.
1. Provenance per 1961 Parke-Bernet sale catalogue.
2. Illustrated in Pantheon, December 1928 as collection of Edwin S. Bayer. His wife was Laura Stanton Kayser, whom he married in 1895. She married Comte Antoine Sala (d. 1946) in 1931.
3. Exhibited by Comtesse Sala at the Musée de l'Orangerie in 1933.
Social Tags [?]
There are currently no user tags associated with this object.
[Add Your Own Tags
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.