Portrait of Madame Augustine Roulin and Baby Marcelle
Vincent Willem van Gogh, Dutch, 1853 - 1890
Made in Arles, France, Europe Date:
1888 or 1889Medium:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
36 3/8 x 28 15/16 inches (92.4 x 73.5 cm)
Framed: 49 1/2 x 42 x 5 1/2 inches (125.7 x 106.7 x 14 cm)Curatorial Department:
European Painting before 1900, Johnson CollectionObject Location:
Currently not on viewAccession Number:
Bequest of Lisa Norris Elkins, 1950
Social Tags [?]
There are currently no user tags associated with this object.
[Add Your Own Tags
While living in Arles, France, Vincent van Gogh created portraits of the family of his friend Joseph Roulin, a local postmaster, including this painting of Roulin’s wife and infant daughter. A portrait of the family’s son, Camille, is also owned by the Museum.
Émile Bernard (1868-1941), Paris; with Ambroise Vollard, Paris; Amédeé Schuffenecker (1854–1936), Clamart, 1908; Fritz Meyer-Fierz, Zürich, by 1924; sale, Meyer-Fierz, Frederich Muller and Company, Amsterdam, July 13, 1926, no. 10. With Galerien Thannhauser, Munich and Lucerne (later Berlin and Paris), by 1927 to c. 1939 ; with Alex Reid & Lefèvre, London, joint ownership with Knoedler & Co., New York, by 1939 and still in 1946 . William M. Elkins (1882-1947), Philadelphia, probably purchased from Knoedler, by May 1947 ; his wife Elizabeth "Lisa" C. Norris Elkins (1898-1950), Philadelphia; bequest to PMA, 1950.
1. Exhibited at Thannhauser Galleries, Berlin, "Erste Sonderausstellung in Berlin," January 9-February 1927. Published in de la Faille, 1928 (no. 490) as Thannhauser Gallery, Munich. The Thannhausers closed their original Munich gallery in 1928; they closed the Berlin branch in 1937 and moved to Paris.
2. De la Faille, Vincent van Gogh, 1939, no. 520, lists the current owner as Reid & Lefevre Gallery, London on p. 369, although the painting is still listed under Thannhauser Gallery, Paris, in the "Index of Collections" (p. 559). According to Lefevre Fine Art (letter dated 26 February 2004, in curatorial file), the painting was owned jointly with Knoedler and sold by Knoedler. Knoedler lent the painting to exhibitions in the US and Canada in 1940, 1941, 1943, 1944, and 1946.
3. Elkins lent the painting to the exhibition, "Masterpieces of Philadelphia Private Collections," May 30-Sept. 14, 1947.