European Painting before 1900, Johnson Collection
Apple Tree in the Meadow, Eragny
Pommier dans le pré, Éragny
Camille Pissarro, French, 1830 - 1903
Oil on canvas
17 3/4 x 21 1/4 inches (45.1 x 54 cm)
* Gallery 152, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Toll Gallery)
2011-58-3Gift of John C. Haas and Chara C. Haas, 2011
LabelThe fields and gardens around Pissarro’s home in Éragny, a small village on the river Epte about ninety miles northwest of Paris, were the subject of his work for more than twenty years. This view of the meadow adjacent to Pissarro’s house (the brick building visible on the left) is marked by the vibrant colors and strongly-patterned brush and palette knife work common in the artist’s paintings of the 1890s. Pissarro was fond of setting up his easel in various places around the village and working outdoors.
Durand-Ruel et Cie, Paris, purchased from the artist on December 16, 1893; sold to Valentine Gallery, New York, on July 21, 1920 ; sold back to Durand-Ruel on November 23, 1929, and still owned in 1936. With David B. Findlay, Inc., New York, c.1968. Sale, "Collection de Madame de R.," Paris, Musée Galliera, June 24, 1968, no. 62 ("Pommiers, soleil couchant, Éragny", illus.) ; Madame Stubel, Brussels . John Charles Haas (1918-2011) and Chara Cooper Haas, Villanova, PA; Chara Cooper Haas; gift to PMA, 2011.
1. Valentine Gallery, founded by Valentine Dudensing, was first known as Dudensing Gallery, then renamed F. Valentine Dudensing in about 1926, and finally Valentine Gallery.
2. The consignor of this lot is listed as "Collection de Madame de R." (this collection is unidentified).
3. Preceding provenance per Joachim Pissarro and Claire Durand-Ruel Snollaerts, Pissarro: Critical Catalogue of Paintings, Milan and Paris, 2005, no. 995.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.