Saints John the Evangelist(?) and Martin of Tours
Lateral panel of an altarpiece from Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome; probably begun by Masaccio and finished after his death by Masolino; companion to panels in John G. Johnson collection, Philadelphia Museum of Art (Inv. 408), and in the National Gallery, London (5962, 5963); the Museo e Gallerie Nazionali di Capodimonte, Naples (33,35); and the Pinacoteca Vaticana (no. 245, no. 260)
Masolino (Tommaso di Cristoforo Fini), also called Masolino da Panicale, Italian (active Florence, Hungary, Rome, Todi, and Castiglione d'Olona), 1383/84 - after 1444, and Masaccio (Tommaso di Ser Giovanni Cassai), Italian (active Florence and Rome), 1401 - 1428/29.
This painting comes from a two-sided altarpiece once in the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. It is generally thought that the great Renaissance master Masaccio designed and began painting this panel before he died at age 27. Masolino, with whom Masaccio had collaborated before, finished his young colleague's work.